I came to academia after years of experience in the field of Local and Community Development, where my role was to review and develop policy interventions and actions, and to promote their effective communication in Milan, Italy. I have always had a keen interest for analyzing how structural inequality can affect life chances, and such early work experience in Milan radically reshaped my own academic orientation, prompting me to begin my higher education at the age of 32, which I embraced with considerable enthusiasm.
CURRENT POSITION, AFFILIATIONS, and CAREER
Nov. 2020-Oct. 2022
- EU Marie Skłodowska-Curie Research Fellow – Department of Social and Political Sciences, University of Milan, Italy and Department of Geography at Maynooth University, Ireland. Grant In Aid (European Commission) for the research project: CITY-OF-CARE, Women’s relationalities of care in disadvantaged communities: the gendered dynamics of resistance under the pressure of financialization
- Research Visiting Fellow – Maynooth University Social Sciences Institute (MUSSI), Ireland
- Contract Professor of Sociology – Medicine Faculty, University of Milan, Italy
October 2018-April 2020
- Post Doctoral Research Fellow – Department of Social and Political Sciences at the University of Milan, Italy. Grant In Aid (Fondazione Alsos) on Love at the time of Globalization: affective relationships as practices of everyday multiculturalism.
October 2015-June 2018
- Post Doctoral Research Fellow – Department of Geography at Maynooth University. Grant In Aid (Government of Ireland) on Urban transformation and Housing pressures in the city of Dublin.
- Post Doctoral Researcher (Onderzoeker 3) – GPIO Department of Geography, Planning and International Development Studies at the University of Amsterdam (the Netherlands) for the sub-project on the meaning and use of the home as both a social and market good in the ERC funded ‘HOUWEL‘ project.
Sept 2014-April 2016
- Contract Professor – Department of Architecture and Urban Studies (DAStU), Politecnico di Milano University (Italy) “Contemporary City: Social Change and Policies,” course taught in English for the International Master of Science degree of Urban Planning and Policy Design.
2000-2015 (3 years doctoral leaving absence 2009/2012)
- Senior Program Coordinator – Milan City Youth Policy Department, IT
Nov 2009-Oct 2013
- Doctoral School in “Sociology and Social Research” – University of Trento, IT
Jan 2011-Oct 2012
- Visiting Doctoral Researcher at CUNY – The City University of New York (John D. Calandra Italian American Institute at Queens College), New York, USA
March 27th, 2009
- Two-Years Master Degree in “Political and Social Communication” – University of Milan, Italy: Political, Economic and Social Sciences Faculty
Dissertation, with highest honor: “A-way from Paolo Sarpi”. Film-making and Ethnographic Research from the Milan’s Chinatown – 110/110 summa cum laude.
- Bachelor Degree in “Communication and Society” – University of Milan, Italy: Political, Economic and Social Sciences Faculty
Dissertation, with highest honor: “Milan, Paolo Sarpi street, April 12nd, 2007. The oriental representation of an urban revolt” – 110/110 summa cum laude.
SOFTWARE TOOLS FOR SOCIAL SCIENCES (Areas of Knowledge)
(1) Demonstrated expertise in using statistical analysis/structural equation modeling packages such as SPSS, STATA, LISREL (School of Social Sciences – University of Trento, PhD core modules).
(2) Significant experience of qualitative data analysis software programs such as ATLAS.ti and Nvivo for Windows (Attended specific classes at University of Trento).
(3) Qualitative and Mixed Methods Research, software program Dedoose for the Mac OS (autodidact).
(4) Certificate in Spatial Information Services (GIS) by Esri in 2004 and attended course on Mapping and Spatial Analysis ArcGIS in 2010 by Prof. Michael Shin – UCLA University-USA (School of Social Sciences – University of Trento, PhD core modules).
ADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATES
Diploma in Filmmaking
Film Directing School by Razi and Soheila Mohebi. Trento, Italy, 2010
New York Language Center. NYC, USA, 2009
Methods of audiovisual language. Monselice (Padova), Italy, 2008
Institute of Journalism “Carlo de Martino”. Milan, Italy, 2002
Enrolled at Italian Register of Journalism. Milan, Italy, 1998